Article II Resources
After two years of study and thousands of conversations with Unitarian Universalists, the Article II Study Commission presented their proposed revision to Article II of the UUA Bylaws. Article II contains our covenant, our purpose and our aspirations, currently articulated as UU Principles and Purpose. Congregations reviewed the proposed new language in preparation for their church delegates to vote at General Assembly in June 2023. BUC’s voting members voted on the proposal at our Annual Meeting on May 21, 2023, with results of 31% Yes and 69% No.
At General Assembly, thirteen amendments were discussed during general sessions, of which five were adopted through the delegate voting process. The Article II proposal, inclusive of the five amendments, was then put up for a vote. Over 86% of delegates voted in favor of it moving forward for another year of consideration and a final vote at GA 2024. BUC’s delegates represented our congregation’s 31% Yes / 69% No vote. They will publish a report of GA activity, including information about the five amendments, in July. The current Article II remains in effect during the next year while the proposed change is given further consideration.
This page is an archive of the activities and resources presented by the BUC’s Article II Task Force leading up to the congregational vote in May 2023 and GA vote in June 2023. If you don’t find what you’re looking for here, feel free to contact BUCArt2TaskForce@gmail.com.
NOTE: Along the timeline for the amendment process for the proposed Article II revision, through April 30 BUC members can recommend amendments individually (using the UUA submission form). Ideas submitted by individuals are being posted at discuss.uua.org.
Through May 12, BUC members can recommend amendments through BUC’s process for identifying up to six amendments that our GA delegates can submit for our congregation. Please use the submission form below. Suggested amendments will be able to be reviewed at the document link below.
Here are some resources to help explain the Article II revision and the process behind it:
- History of Article II (6-slide PDF)
- Commission’s Report (26-page PDF)
- Learn more about the Commission’s process in their own voices in this video presented collaboratively by all current Commission members (32 minutes)
- Article II Study Commission (webpage at UUA.org)
- Dr. Paula Cole Jones on Article II and the 8th Principle (2.5-minute YouTube video)
- “A Pro / Con Review and Analysis (Revised): Proposed Changes to the UUA Bylaws Article 2” | BUC members have asked about the advantages and disadvantages of the proposed Article II changes. This is a review prepared by Anne Schneider of Valley Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Chandler, AZ. Please use your own discernment process to decide what to conclude about this analysis. The Task Force wants to share what is available without bias, knowing that UUs prefer to decide for themselves.
Reflect specifically on the proposed move of Principles and Purpose to Values and Covenant:
See Article II in the context of the full set of UUA bylaws:
- UUA Bylaws and Rules (33-page PDF)
- Small Group Workshop slides (28-slide PDF)
- April 8 Zoom overview- slides (13-slide PDF)
- April 8 Zoom overview- recording (46-minute YouTube video)
- Reflections in issue 3 of The Deep Dive congregational e-publication
The desire for a broader conversation about Article II—including other congregations—was raised during the Q&A of our first Zoom overview. Here’s one resource (hosted by UUs, not the UUA), a Facebook group for “Blue Boat Passengers” (requires Facebook account to join)